Dorner manhunt: Los Angeles offers $1 million reward
LOS ANGELES (CNN) — Los Angeles put up a $1 million reward Sunday for the capture and conviction of Christopher Dorner, a renegade former police officer they say has killed three people in a self-proclaimed war on his old department.
“We will not tolerate anyone undermining the security, the tranquility of our neighborhoods and our communities,” Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa told reporters. “We will not tolerate this reign of terror that has robbed us of the peace of mind that residents of Southern California deserve. We will not tolerate this murderer remaining at large.”
The offer — raised in conjunction with businesses, private donors and community groups — is “the largest ever offered to our knowledge,” Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said.
The Los Angeles Police Department says Dorner, a former Navy officer, was cashiered in 2009 for filing a false complaint of excessive force against his training officer. In an interview aired Sunday on CNN affiliate KCBS, Beck called Dorner a “trained assassin” but said he wouldn’t be harmed if he gave himself up.
“If you turn yourself in, then you will be safe and nobody else has to die,” he said. “If you don’t, if you decide to try to take the life of another Los Angeles police officer or their family member, then you’ll have to suffer the consequences.”
Dragnet in Big Bear resort area
The dragnet was in action Sunday around the Big Bear Lake resort, about 90 miles east of Los Angeles, where investigators found Dorner’s burning pickup Thursday afternoon. After working through a weekend of heavy snow and overnight temperatures in the single digits, police officers, sheriff’s deputies and federal agents tried again to pick up Dorner’s trail, San Bernardino County sheriff’s spokeswoman Lehua Pahia said.
The day’s effort began with about 60 officers. By early afternoon, it had been scaled back to about 25 investigators, aided by a helicopter equipped with body-heat sensors and other specialized equipment, Pahia said. None of the tips the department had received so far has panned out, she said.
Dorner accused his training officer of kicking a mentally ill man during an arrest in 2007. The LAPD ruled the complaint unfounded and kicked Dorner off the force for filing a false complaint. He challenged his firing in court and lost, and in a manifesto released last week, he blamed racism and corruption in the department for his removal.
Beck announced Saturday that the LAPD would re-examine its proceedings against Dorner — “not to appease a murderer,” but “to reassure the public that their police department is transparent and fair in all things we do.”
“I am aware of the ghosts of the LAPD’s past, and one of my biggest concerns is that they will be resurrected by Dorner’s allegations of racism within the department,” Beck said.
Dorner says this is a ‘last resort’
In the manifesto, the 33-year-old Dorner promised to bring “unconventional and asymmetrical warfare” to officers and their families, calling it the “last resort” to clear his name and strike back at a department he says mistreated him.
According to authorities, Dorner began making good on his threats a week ago when he killed Monica Quan and her fiance, Keith Lawrence, in a parking lot in Irvine, south of Los Angeles. Quan was the daughter of a now-retired Los Angeles police officer who represented Dorner in a disciplinary hearing that led to his termination.
Days later, early Thursday morning, Dorner allegedly opened fire on two LAPD police officers, wounding one, in the suburban city of Corona.
Roughly 20 minutes later, Dorner allegedly fired on two police officers, killing one and wounding another, in the nearby city of Riverside.
Since then, much of the manhunt for Dorner has focused in and around Big Bear. Officers trudged through fresh snow Saturday as they searched homes, knocking on doors and peeking in windows.
But as the search continued with no sign of Dorner, questions were raised about whether he had escaped the dragnet, possibly days earlier.