Shopping this weekend? Please keep the less fortunate in mind. Join our toy drive!

Blizzard 2013: State of emergency declared in storm zone

(CNN) — For millions in the Northeast, the storm is over — but being snowed in isn’t.

The mammoth blizzard that broke records in some areas left its heavy footprint in place Sunday. Temperatures topping out only in the low to mid-30s were too low to melt the piles of snow.

President Barack Obama announced a state of emergency in Connecticut, which got some of the heaviest snowfall. The city of Hamden had a whopping 40 inches.

“Tomorrow the melting will begin as temperatures climb into the 40s,” said CNN Meteorologist Alexandra Steele. “But it will come with some issues.”

Expect a messy commute Monday morning in hard-hit Boston with a mix of rain and snow, she said.

Boston residents digging their cars out were having trouble finding a place to throw the snow. One shoveler said she was considering taking the train to work instead of trying to drive Monday morning.

“There’s a ton of snow and there’s nowhere to put it,” Lena Berc said. “So it’s really frustrating trying to find nooks and crannies.”

But on Sunday, some normalcy returned to the roads and skies. At Logan International Airport in Boston, a few dozen flights had landed by midmorning and a spokesman for the airport said airlines were telling him that they would be back on schedule by the end of the day.

Amtrak announced a limited schedule of train service between Boston and New York, while other routes in the Northeast were still canceled and some were operating on a normal schedule.

As of 1 p.m. Sunday, about 340,000 power customers were still in the dark, but that number is an improvement from the 635,000 without electricity Saturday afternoon.

At least nine deaths in three states and Canada are blamed on the snowstorm, which was spawned by two converging weather systems.

Residents from Pennsylvania to Maine are trying to dig out from as much as 3 feet of snowfall.

Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee said Sunday he was pleased with the work done in preparation and response to the storm. He told those without power — more than 66,000 customers — help was coming.

“We’re working as hard as we can. We’re seeing progress every hour,” he told reporters in Cranston, Rhode Island.

He added that cleanup had been made easier because many residents had complied with a 24-hour driving ban, allowing crews easier access to trouble spots.

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino said his city was making side streets its priority Sunday, as crews borrowed additional snow-clearing equipment from other cities. He urged drivers to stay home one more day and said schools there would be closed Monday.