Girl found locked in cage in New Mexico
LAS CRUCES, N.M. — New Mexico woman and her boyfriend locked up an 8-year-old girl with developmental disabilities in a wooden cage, then left her alone to go see a movie police say.
The Associated Press reports Cindy Patriarchias, 33, and Edmond Gonzales, 37, of Las Cruces, N.M. took her three children to an elementary school to watch the movie Friday according to a police report.
Patriarchias’ estranged husband called police when he discovered the 8-year-old girl was left alone at home.
Faces of Meth
People of Walmart
Awkward family photos
The AP reports police waited for an hour for the two to return before they could enter the home. Once inside, officers found a big homemade wooden cage in the corner of a bedroom with the girl inside.
A police statement said it had a baby crib’s mattress inside and was 2 1/2 feet wide and about 4 feet tall.
The girl didn’t appear to have any physical injuries. She was placed in the care of child welfare services.
Patriarchias is charged with negligently causing child abuse and Gonzales with negligently permitting child abuse.
They both remained in jail Tuesday following their arrests on Friday.
- Hickenlooper grants reprieve to death row inmate Nathan Dunlap
- Longmont officer shoots, critically wounds AR15-wielding gunman
- Mom makes bullying daughter wear thrift shop clothes as punishment
- Warning: Video shows Colo. murder suspect Evan Ebel shoot deputy
- I-70 reopens in Glenwood Canyon following fatal crash