Surprise ‘white-out’ contributes to multi-vehicle crash on Highway 85
WELD COUNTY, Colo. — Highway 85 near Fort Lupton is now back open after being closed for most of the day when snowy weather caused accidents involving more than 25 vehicles.
Colorado State Patrol spokesperson Josh Lewis said the accidents were caused by blowing snow and icy conditions. There were at least three injuries.
Lewis said the chain of wrecks began before 12:30 p.m., with the largest accident involving six to eight vehicles.
Highway 85 was shut down between Fort Lupton and Brighton due to the clean up efforts. It reopened around 4 p.m.
- Driver of car that slammed into Larimer County school bus identified
- Delta flight, passengers isolated in remote area at DIA following security threat
- 38 million gallon Portland water supply to be flushed after teen urinates in reservoir
- Police: Teen tried to 'blow a fireball' at Smoky Hill HS
- Documents detail how dispatchers handled call that ended in mother's murder