Thanksgiving dinner: The leading cause of holiday injuries
DENVER — Whether you deep fry the turkey or stuff it, one thing is for sure, according to a group of local medical professionals: The very tradition of cooking Thanksgiving dinner is the No. 1 cause of urgent care visits.
With that in mind Doctors Express has provided a list of the top five Thanksgiving injuries, what causes them and how you can prevent them.
- A dangling sleeve can easily catch fire, so avoid wearing lose clothing.
- Make ovens a kid-free zone.
- Keep pot handles toward the back burners to reduce risk of knocking pots over.
2. Food Poisoning
- Wash hands thoroughly when handling uncooked meat and keep it separate from other food.
- Oven temperature when cooking a turkey should be no lower than 325 degrees and the turkey should be completely thawed before cooking.
- A food thermometer must register a safe minimum temperature of 165 degrees inside the turkey.
- Best to cook stuffing outside the turkey in a casserole, but if you choose to stuff a turkey, make sure the stuffing also reaches a temp of 165 degrees.
- Stay totally focused when slicing food
- Don’t rush. Give yourself plenty of time to carve slowly.
- Give the carving duty to the most experienced carver.
4. Sprains, strains and fractures
- Take a break after eating before you rush out to play with the family.
- This isn’t the NFL and you are out to have fun, not win the Heisman Trophy or impress relatives and friends.
- Many people eat too much, too fast on Thanksgiving which can quickly cause heartburn, indigestion and create chest pain. This can feel like a heart attack which leads people to seek medical attention.
- Eat slowly
- Take breaks in between courses
- Keep antacids on hand
- N.J. Gov. Christie on Colorado legalizing pot: 'Not the quality of life we want'
- Indian doctors strike gold while performing surgery on man
- Model says she plans to have abortion to appear on reality show
- Colorado policymakers fire back at Gov. Christie over pot comments
- Woman says 3 dogs busted into her house, attacked her and 2 pets