Reports: James Holmes sent to hospital after ‘hurting himself’
A sketch of James Holmes at a court proceeding on Sept. 20, 2012. (Sketch: Chris Mosher)
DENVER – Lawyers for Aurora theater shooting suspect James Holmes asked for a postponement Wednesday of his hearing scheduled for Thursday after he was sent to the hospital.
No details were provided about exactly what happened, but the Denver Post reported he required hospital treatment after ramming his head into a cell wall at the Arapahoe County jail.
Public defender Tamara Brady declined to describe Holmes’ ailment. The reports say he went to the hospital Tuesday, and was back in jail Wednesday.
“It’s not as simple as a migraine, and it’s not something I feel will resolve by tomorrow morning,” she told the court.
Judge William Sylvester granted the delay and moved Thursday’s hearing to December 10. Another, previously scheduled hearing, will take place December 13.
Holmes is accused of killing 12 people and wounding 58 during a midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises” on July 20.
- Hickenlooper grants reprieve to death row inmate Nathan Dunlap
- Longmont officer shoots, critically wounds AR15-wielding gunman
- Warning: Video shows Colo. murder suspect Evan Ebel shoot deputy
- Mom makes bullying daughter wear thrift shop clothes as punishment
- I-70 reopens in Glenwood Canyon following fatal crash