Two-alarm fire breaks out at Southglenn shopping center

CENTENNlAL, Colo. — Witnesses reported a large plume of black smoke coming from the Streets of Southglenn outdoor mall Thursday morning.

The two-alarm fire broke out just before noon at a construction site at the shopping center.

Firefighters think construction workers accidentally started the fire while cutting metal beams. “Embers from that steel dropped on styrofoam insulation, it was the styrofoam insulation is what actually started on fire,” says Littleton Fire Department spokesman Doug Ireland.

One worker was treated for smoke inhalation and he did not require hospitalization.

Firefighters contained the fire within 30 minutes. Damage was limited to the building that was undergoing demolition.

Filed in: News

Suggest a correction