Victim in shooting outside downtown Denver nightclub identified
Ronald Smith, center, died in a shooting outisde a Denver club Nov. 3, 2012
DENVER — The Denver Coroner’s Office has confirmed that 47-year-old Ronald Smith was the man shot and killed early Sunday, near 11th Ave. and Lincoln St.
Denver Police say Smith was involved in a dispute that led to a fistfight, then gunfire in the streets.
Twenty-four year old Marvin Joel Rosario-Lopez was quickly arrested and made his first court appearance Monday morning. He is being investigated for first-degree murder.
Smith’s son, ‘Drew, was in the courtroom for the appearance. “He was a great man, a family man,” he says.
The younger Smith said his dad had come to see his group perform at the “The Hive.” He described what he saw early Sunday morning. “I was performing, they said my brother had been assaulted, I went outside, seen my brother, my dad got involved and just chaos from there.”
A woman, who says she is a “mother figure” to Rosario-Lopez, and was also in the courtroom, says, “He’s (Rosario-Lopez) totally innocent of the charges.”
Rosario-Lopez is being held without bond.
- Mom bites off dog’s ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Colorado policymakers fire back at Gov. Christie over pot comments
- N.J. Gov. Christie on Colorado legalizing pot: 'Not the quality of life we want'
- Assault in Longmont results in SWAT standoff that is called off
- Woman says 3 dogs busted into her house, attacked her and 2 pets