Firefighter hospitalized fighting house fire in Elk Creek
DENVER – A firefighter was hospitalized after an early morning fire in Jefferson County Sunday.
Fire crews responded to the fire at approximately 5:30 a.m. Sunday on Ute Road near Pine, Colo., according to a spokesperson with the Elk Creek Fire Department.
Elk Creek Fire Chief Bill McLaughlin said a firefighter collapsed due to smoke inhalation after he was trying to contain the house fire. He was airlifted to St. Anthony’s Hospital from the North Fork Fire Station. He was expected to be released from the hospital after being treated, according to officials.
There was extensive damage to the home, and firefighters said they believe the fire started in a fireplace. Two people who live in the house were able to evacuate and were not injured, according to McLaughlin.