Police: Girl’s cooking mistake starts fire that damages 4 condos
Fire at Briarwood condos in Golden, Colo. Courtesy: Kylei Beal Sept. 24, 2012
GOLDEN, Colo. — A little girl who was cooking started a fire at a condominium complex that damaged at least four units in Golden according to police.
The first 911 call came from the Briarwood Commons condo complex on Elm Circle at about 4:30 p.m. Monday.
When police officer arrived, flames were billowing out of a second floor porch of one of the units.
Golden police say an 11-year-old girl in that condo was cooking when some paper towels got too close to the burner and caught fire. She says she tried carrying the paper towels out of the house, but by the time she got back in there was a lot of smoke.
She went to a neighbor’s home and called 911. No one else was home at the time.
A dog made it out of the condo, but two cats did not survive the fire.
Flames spread into the attics of surrounding units that shared the same main structure. The unit where the fire started has severe fire and smoke damage and the neighboring units have smoke damage.
Residents of all four units remained out of their homes Monday evening.