Prosecutors want to add more charges against theater shooting suspect
James E. Holmes at his first court appearance Monday, July 23, 2012.
CENTENNIAL, Colo. — Prosecutors want to file more charges against Aurora theater shooting suspect James Holmes.
They filed a motion to add 10 new charges, bringing the total charges against Holmes to 152. The motion filed on Tuesday also asks to amend 17 other charges.
Details about the new charges were expected to be discussed during a hearing scheduled Thursday in Arapahoe County Court.
They were not released in the motions filing.
Holmes already faces 24 counts of first-degree murder and 116 counts of attempted first-degree murder.
There were 12 people killed and 58 injured in the shooting spree early the morning of July 20 at the Century 16 Theaters in Aurora.
Holmes faces two counts for each person killed and two counts for each person injured… one for murder or attempted murder after deliberation and one for murder or attempted murder with extreme indifference.
Officials have also already charged him with one count of possession of an explosive device and one count of sentence enhancement for allegedly committing a crime of violence.
- Hickenlooper grants reprieve to death row inmate Nathan Dunlap
- Longmont officer shoots, critically wounds AR15-wielding gunman
- Mom makes bullying daughter wear thrift shop clothes as punishment
- Warning: Video shows Colo. murder suspect Evan Ebel shoot deputy
- I-70 reopens in Glenwood Canyon following fatal crash