Warren re-tears muscle, likely out for season
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The only bad news coming out of the Denver Broncos’ 31-19 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers Sunday took a turn for the worse Monday, when head coach John Fox announced another starting defense lineman is likely out for the season.
Ty Warren, the only Bronco to suffer an injury in Sunday’s season opener, has torn his triceps muscle. It’s the same injury that knocked the veteran out of the 2011 season. Though Fox didn’t speculate as to the severity of the new injury, it appears Warren’s season is likely done once more.
After breaking the story, Fox offered one caveat of what he believes is positive news about the situation.
“One of the things that’s helpful this offseason is that we’ve been able to add depth to (defensive tackle),” Fox said. “Obviously we don’t want to lose a player like Ty for a significant amount of time, and this obviously will be (that type of injury). But we’ll adjust.”
Fox said Warren suffered the injury five plays into the game, meaning newcomers like Justin Bannan and rookie Derek Wolfe saw their roles increase from the beginning of the game on. Sealver Siliga, who was signed from the team’s practice squad late last week, could also see his role expand as the season wears on.
The Broncos also lost defensive lineman Jason Hunter to a triceps injury in training camp, which likely ended his season, as well.
Caleb Hanie re-signed: The move that allowed Denver to sign Siliga involved the temporary waiving of backup quarterback Caleb Hanie. The team re-signed the Colorado State product Monday as part of the “vested veteran” loophole.
By releasing and re-signing Hanie, the Broncos will not have to guarantee his $1 million contract. They also will not have to pay him a $250,000 bonus for making the team’s roster. The team will, however, have to make a corresponding move to cut the roster back down to 53 players.
Fox did not give any indication at Monday’s press conference about what that move will be.