Top 10 Denver Broncos training camp questions
Denver Broncos first training camp session, July 26, 2012.
- Peyton Manning. How full is his recovery. Even at 90% he’s better than just about anyone else. QB Medical experts have said that his neck may actually be stronger than before.
- “D” Line. Regardless of the results of his arrest, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell may still suspend Elvis Dumervil for several games. Plaxico Burress served two years in prison for brandishing a weapon. His absence could have a significant impact on the Broncos defense at a time when four of the Broncos first five opponents were playoff teams last year. Rookie and Broncos first draft pick Derek Wolfe may make an immediate impact.
- D.J. Williams. Will miss the first 6 games of the season for violating the league’s drug policy. Previous indiscretions and his tweet of a picture of the Broncos playbook may have earned him a ticket out of town.
- Back-Up QB Caleb Hanie , Adam Weber or rookie Brock Osweiler. If Manning goes down expect Osweiler to get plenty of reps.
- DB’s. Should be improved with addition of off-season signings but who can fill the “leadership shoes” of the now retired Brian Dawkins.
- “O” Line. Pressure’s on to protect the “franchise, especially left tackle Ryan Clady. Peyton was not sacked much at Indy and will demand the same from this group.
- Running Back. The new offense that’s been installed is not exclusively from Peyton’s playbook. It will be a hybrid with more emphasis on running and multiple back formations than he had when with the Colts. Willis McGahee is coming of a career season but now 30, can he hold up for an entire season. Hopes are high for rookie Ronnie Hillman.
- Rookies to Watch. In addition to Wolfe and Hillman, LB Danny Trevathan could be a factor.
- Break-out year. Keep an eye-on underrated LB Nate Irving, DT Mitch Unrein.
- Biggest surprise. Chris Gronkowski will play an important role at fullback.