Home explosion injures Aurora firefighters
AURORA, Colo. — Three Aurora firefighters were injured when a rare and extremely dangerous explosion known as a “back draft” occurred while they were fighting a house fire.
“The fire in the fireplace escaped through the flue into the attic,” says Aurora Fire spokesman Allen Robnett. “As the firefighters entered the attic, a back draft, which is one of the most dangerous situations they could encounter, occurred.”
The force of the explosion caused the walls of the house to bulge and the roof to lift.
The injured firefighters were taken to a local hospital as a precaution.
Investigators speculate the fire started as a result of a defect in the flue of the fireplace, and they stress the importance of have a professional inspect your fireplace before using it.
The fire destroyed the home, and the family is staying with neighbors.