Rat poison found at Cheesman Park

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENVER -- Several squirrels have been found dead around Denver’s Cheesman Park and investigators say the rat poison to blame was possibly set out to harm dogs. “It’s just so heartbreaking. They are so innocent and sweet,” says dog owner, Kris Spooner.

Spooner is just one of many pet owners concerned about the rat poison found a Cheeseman Park.

Acting on a tip, Denver Parks and Recreation combed the park for rat poison left on the grounds.

“We don’t know if this point if it was done maliciously. We just know that we found a (poison) container so was just investigating that at this point,” says Angela Casias from Denver Parks and Recreation. Rat poison is extremely toxic to pets.

Only a small amount ingested could trigger internal bleeding, even death. “If they were to bleed into their brain you may notice a change in mentation (mental state).

They may seem confused or walking around like they are drunk. If they bleed into their chest cavity they may have trouble breathing,” says emergency veterinarian, Leslie Longo of VRCC, Veterinary Specialty & Emergency Hospital.

Earlier this month, some Denver residents reported their dogs were sickened by meatballs placed in their yards that were laced with rat poison.

“There have cases, known cases of intentional poisoning,” adds Dr. Longo. Though these cases are rare experts say it is important to keep an eye on your pets.

“If someone did something like that to one of my animals, if I knew who it was, I wouldn`t know what I would do to them,” says Kris Spooner.

If you suspect your dog has eaten rat poison bring them into your veterinarian for a blood test as soon as possible.